How Door Locks Have Evolved Over The Last 20 Years
May 30th, 2019
It sounds simple, but one of the best ways to keep your home safe is to lock your doors. Over the years though, criminals have gotten smart about door locks and have found a way to pick or break most locks. Fortunately, security experts have responded, offering better and stronger door locks for everyone’s homes. Here is how door locks have evolved over the last 20 years and how new technologies in door locks can keep your Denison home safe.
The Basic History Of The Door Lock
Door locking mechanisms have been around for centuries, dating all the way back to ancient Egypt. However, door locks as we think of them today, with a lock and key, were only developed around 150 years ago. After they were developed, they didn’t really change or evolve until about 20 years ago when security professionals start applying modern technology to the door lock.
Electronic Door Locks: The First Evolution
Electronic door locks were the first evolution of door locks. They started in hotels that were looking for ways to protect their residents. What they developed was a simple deadbolt that was operated by magnets that would engage the lock with a keycard or pad. This technology was then adopted by other businesses to help control entry access and protect secure areas. The keycards and pads were easy to change and difficult to copy. From this technology, soon other types of door locks evolved.
Smart Locks And The Future
A few years ago, technology took a significant leap forward. With new computer and communications technologies, locks were able to also evolve with the introduction of smart locks. Now homeowners have a variety of options that utilize smart technology to lock their doors. These technologies include:
- Numeric keypads that can allow entry access by entering a preprogrammed code
- RFID tags that use chips embedded in keys or keycards that send a radio frequency to unlock the doors
- Biometric features like fingerprint scanners and facial recognition that will unlock the doors based on the unique biological characteristics of the homeowners
- Smartphone app integration that allows homeowners to open locks by activating an app
- Smartphone app and bluetooth integration that unlocks doors when a homeowner’s smartphone is nearby
These advanced technologies are much more secure than old lock and key and electronic locks.
Which Modern Lock Technology Is Right For You?
All of these technologies are very secure and surprisingly affordable. With so many options, Denison homeowners may not know which option is right for them. There are a couple of considerations that you can ask yourself before choosing:
- How many people need access to your home?
- Do you want to be able to lock and unlock your doors when you are not at home?
- Do you want hands-free unlocking and locking?
- How safe is your neighborhood?
- Do you have a lot of high-value items in your home?
The answers to these questions can help you pick a smart locking system that makes sense for your Denison home and family. Once you know the answers, talk to a security expert to help decide which system will meet all your needs.
It’s amazing how quickly door lock technology has advanced in the last twenty ye. To ensure your home is really safe from intruders, it may be time to make an upgrade.